This easy snack is found in River Road Recipes I on page 227. You can make this ahead of time and store in an airtight container – it will keep indefinitely! It also makes a great and easy gift for new neighbors, teachers, or any kind of little “thank you.” Just pour some of the party mix into a clear bag, tie off with a ribbon, and you are good to go!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1.5 hours
Level of Difficulty: Easy
- Measuring spoons
- Wooden spoon
- Mixing bowl
- Large roasting pan or rimmed cookie sheet
- Aluminum foil (optional)
- 1 package Cheerios
- 2 packages Rice Chex
- 1 box “Slim Jim” stick pretzels
- 3/4 pound butter (3 sticks)
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Any kind of salted nuts (such as peanuts) (approximately 3 cups)
- Gather kitchen tools and ingredients. Preheat oven to 250°. Break the pretzels in half. Using the microwave, melt the butter in a mixing bowl. Watch the butter carefully in the microwave as it can pop and make a mess!
- Pour the Cheerios and Rice Chex into a large roaster pan or rimmed cookie sheet and add the broken pretzels. Sprinkle with salt and garlic salt.
- Add the red pepper and Worcestershire sauce to the melted butter and mix.
- Pour the butter, red pepper, and Worcestershire sauce mixture over the cereals and pretzels.
- Cover the roasting pan (or use aluminum foil to cover if using a rimmed cookie sheet or if you do not have a lid) and bake at 250° for one hour, stirring every 20 minutes. Remove cover and bake for 30 minutes longer.
- Mix in any kind of salted nuts.
- Cool and store in an airtight container until ready to serve!