Warmer weather is finally here, and it’s a great time to begin cooking outdoors again! While the typical grill fare includes barbecue, hamburgers, or steak, if you’re looking for something different, River Road Recipes IV: Warm Welcomes has a fantastic Chicken Shwarma recipe that can be done on the grill. The preparation is a little time consuming, but the recipe makes a ton. You’ll be able to feed your entire family dinner, with plenty of leftovers to spare for lunches later in the week! Before you get started, be sure you have a wooden dowel and kitchen twine available.
The Chicken Shwarma pairs perfectly with our Yogurt Dill Sauce and is great added to a salad or served as a main course with roasted potatoes (check out our Potatoes Forno recipe in RRR IV, p. 70), rice, hummus (RRR IV, p. 67), or a side Greek salad. Finish off your meal with a delicious piece of Baklava (RRR IV, p. 71) for dessert!
Chicken Shwarma, RRR IV, p. 69
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons meringue powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
Note: Meringue powder is available in most supermarkets or party supply stores and is used in this recipe to hold the chicken together while cooking.
- Mix the paprika, garlic powder, meringue powder, salt, onion powder, and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Pound the chicken 1/4 inch thick between sheets of waxed paper with a meat mallet. Coat the chicken with the paprika mixture.
- Cover a sheet pan with a clean tea towel. Arrange 1/2 of the chicken in a single layer on the tea towel. Layer the remaining chicken overlapping. Cover the layers with a clean tea towel and top with a sheet pan; press together. Chill for 1 hour.
- Remove the top sheet pan and tea towel. Using a wooden dowel or the end of a long wooden spoon, roll the sheet chicken onto the dowel and secure with kitchen twine.
- Grill the roll over hot coals for 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, turning occasionally.
- Slice as desired and serve with the Yogurt Dill Sauce!
Yogurt Dill Sauce, RRR IV, p. 69
This chilled Grecian sauce is used as a dipping sauce for the Chicken Swarma but is also delicious with other dishes in the Mediterranean Mixed Grill menu found on page 66 of River Road Recipes IV: Warm Welcomes. The sauce adds a cool and refreshing taste when combined with the warm flavors of a Mediterranean meal.
- 2 cups whole milk yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dill weed
- Combine the yogurt, lemon juice, and dill week in a bowl and mix well.
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator until serving time.
Makes 2 cups.