After a long day I am sometimes at a loss for what side dish to prepare to accompany my main dish. Last week I turned to my mother, a former Junior League member, for assistance. Of course she knew exactly what I needed based solely on her knowledge of the River Road Recipe books and what I told her I had in my kitchen. Below is the easy and crowd pleasing Baked Cauliflower that saved the day!
From River Road Recipes I, page 53.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Level of Difficulty: Medium
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden spoon
- Sauce pan
- Small pot
- Glass baking dish
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimento
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup buttered bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated cheese, or more to taste
1. Cook the whole cauliflower in boiling salt water for about 20 minutes. Drain and place in baking dish.
2. Melt Butter in small skillet. Add flour and stir until blended. Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth and thick. Add salt, pepper, pimento, and green onions. Blend.
3. Pour over cauliflower. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and grated cheese. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until slightly browned.