Join the ladies of River Road Recipes this Saturday, September 30 at the Red Stick Farmer’s Market from 8:00 am until noon. We will have all four of our books in stock, including the newly reprinted River Road Recipes III. Stop by our both at the market on the corner of Fifth and Main in downtown Baton Rouge to sample one of our Potato Chip Cookies or Pecan Pie Muffins and get an early start on your holiday shopping.
Potato Chip Cookies
This sweet and salty treat is found in River Road Recipes II: A Second Helping on page 210.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 to 12 minutes
Level of Difficulty: Medium
Servings: 9-10 dozen
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden spoon
- Mixing bowl
- Electric mixer (optional)
- Cookie sheet
- 2 cups (4 sticks) butter (note: best with butter, but margarine and butter flavoring may be used)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups crushed potato chips (such as Lay’s Original)
- Powdered sugar (to taste)
- Gather kitchen tools and ingredients. Preheat your oven to 350°. Using an electric mixer or by hand (phew!) beat the butter until light and fluffy. This will take a long time! (Note: Try setting your butter out on the counter to soften for about 30 minutes to make the process easier. Do not try to speed the process up by microwaving the butter, however. If the butter is too soft, your cookies will not hold their shape upon cooking.)
- Add sugar to the butter and beat well.
3. Add vanilla and flour gradually and mix.
4. Crush potato chips with your hands and add them, mixing well.
5. Drop batter from teaspoon onto cookie sheets.
6. Bake at 350° until slightly brown. The cookie baking time will vary dependent on oven type (conduction versus convection) and climate but will typically take between 8-12 minutes. Monitor carefully at 9 minutes.
7. Sprinkle cookies with powdered sugar and enjoy!