As school bells ring signaling the start of a new year, families everywhere will be faced with the weeknight dinner struggle. Taco Soup is an easy, hearty, crowd pleaser that can be prepared quickly, mostly with ingredients from your pantry. While the instructions state an hour-long simmering period, this recipe can be prepared in advance or left to simmer on the stove while homework is conquered. Double the recipe and freeze the leftovers of this delicious dish for the first fall chill. Tailor the toppings listed or add your own favorites to please everyone in your family. Best of all, the preparation of this dish only dirties ONE POT making cleanup a breeze!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can tomatoes with green chiles, Italian-style tomatoes or Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1 can while kernel corn, drained
- 1 can Ranch-style beans or pinto beans with jalapeno chiles
- 1 envelope taco seasoning mix
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Garlic powder to taste
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ½ cup sliced jalapeno chiles
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- 1 avocado, chopped
Brown the ground beef with the onion in a large saucepan, stirring until the ground beef is crumbly; drain. Stir in the undrained tomatoes, corn, undrained beans, seasoning mix, dressing mix, chili powder, garlic powder and Tabasco sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat.
Cook over low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Ladle the soup into bowls. Serve with the sour cream, cheese, green onions, jalapeno chiles, olives and avocado.