Here in Louisiana, sausage is not only used as an ingredient in dishes, but it also can be the featured dish itself. Here is a easy, yet tasty recipe that is a party favorite, Citrus Glazed Smoked Sausage from River Road Recipes IV: Warm Welcomes, page 60.
There are many types of local brands of smoked sausage available here. Choose the sausage that is your favorite or perhaps ask your friends and coworkers for recommendations and try something new. During hunting season you could try the recipe with a variation of venison sausage, too. I am sure the huntsman or huntswoman would be proud to showcase their deer sausage in a featured dish.
This recipe is easily doubled and can be made in advance! That is a big plus when planning a party. You could also do the first 2 steps in the directions the day before the gathering or party and complete steps 3 and 4, right before serving.
- 1 pound smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 6 to 8 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Combine the sausage and green onions in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, covered, on High for 2 minutes; stir. Microwave for 1 minute longer.
- Whisk the oil, lemon juice, dry mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl until blended.
- Add the oil mixture to the sausage mixture and mix well.
- Microwave until just heated through.
- Serve with wooden picks. You may prepare in advance and reheat just before serving.