Cheese straws are perfect party snacks. My family always makes them for Christmas so I though I would try out the River Road recipe! This was a straight forward, easy snack to bring to a party, tailgate, anything! With school starting soon, you could make this as an after school snack for the kids!
- 1 cup butter- make sure you get real butter
- 2 cups hand grated sharp cheddar
- 2 2/3 cups sifted flour
- Dash red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Rolling pin, cheese grater, mat – not listed in book
- First hand grate the cheese. I used Cracker Barrel cheese
- Mix ingredients together well. I melted the cheese and butter before adding the other ingredients and it made a great dough!
- Roll thin and cut into narrow strips.
- Bake in slow oven, 275 degrees, until light brown.
- 25 minutes in the oven was plenty of time!
- Makes about 4 dozen
This is what your dough cut up should look like.
Here is the final product!